Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Trip to Copper Mountain




Yesterday morning I made the call to postpone our tubing trip until today, because of the winter storm warnings for the ski resort areas. Thank goodness I did. There was a 60-car pileup on I-70 that had the interstate closed for most of the day. I'm really glad we didn't have to sit in that, or worse yet, be one of the cars involved in the collision. As you can see from the photos, the storm cleared out and we had a perfect day at Copper Mountain - sunny and 40 degrees. Unfortunately, I forgot to put sunblock on the kids and forgot sunglasses. I did remember to pack their lunch though :) I guess I'll eventually remember everything that I'm supposed to do for them.
The kids had a great time tubing, though I had a hard time explaining to them beforehand that we were going tubing. I think they thought we were going to ski. The 5 tube chutes ran from easy to steep and fast. They liked doing them all, especially the one in the middle with the big bump that put them airborne for a couple of seconds. There was lots of giggling today. The good news (for me, as I'm an avid skier) is that they were really excited to see the skiers and boarders as well. Logan wanted to know if we could go tomorrow. I couldn't figure out how to tell him "next season", so I had to tell him "180 zahfstra (sp??) - which to him means in 180 days (tomorrows).
We stopped at school on the way home for their ESL testing. We will hear from the school later this week, but we discussed - and the ESL teacher said she's going to recommend - that Logan go into 3rd grade, instead of being in 2nd grade, which he was in at the orphange. He is super-smart and catches on to things really quickly. Hopefully within another year or so, we can bump him up one more grade level so he'll be with kids his age. Daria will probably remain in 1st grade, which is fine. We think that is appropriate for now, and hopefully in a couple of years we can bump her up as well. We think they'll be starting school on Monday, as they already have most of their vaccinations, which was surprising to us, but in a nice way.

2 comments:

Kathy and Matt said...

Your tubing trip sounds like it was great fun! I'm sure the kids loved it. What a beautiful part of the country for them to grow up in.

I also loved seeing the pictures of them at home. I'm sure things are a bit hectic right now, but it will all fall into a routine soon. We've been home just 5 weeks and things have gotten much smoother.

Glad things are going so well for you!

ArtworkByRuth said...

Welcome home! We just returned from our Colorado adventure today and thought of you! Amazing start to school already! So glad things are going well. God bless!